Thursday, September 8, 2011

Change of Affiliation

Grade School was great.  From kindergarten to 2nd Grade I used all my personal days to go on all the school trips I could.

I know I would do that back when I was in high school.  Back in the late '70s we took a "trip" to a night game at Yankee Stadium.  Back then the drinking age was 18 which really meant anyone who wanted a drink had one.  It was a lot of fun to get drunk with your Spanish teacher at a Yankee game, but we left two kids there.  Not so much fun to make a U-Turn on the Tribune Bridge in a school bus.  I knew then if I ever had kids I would go on all the school trips.

When my kids started 3rd grade I had become a Stay at home Dad.  I did not just go on trips.  I became a presence in my kids classrooms.  I was a consistent volunteer at recess, and as a "teacher" in the after school program I got to spend time with the kids.


I even made it to the cover of their yearbook. ( I am the big guy in red).

For me it was a great ride.




















But my kids are starting middle school.

Last week they went to "orientation"  I got to meet the Parent Coordinator, the President of the PTA and one of the Assistant Principals.  I told them how active I was at my kids previous school.  But I told them I was worried that if I maintained that presence the kids would just think I was just the creepy old man that hangs around the school.   They all responded at once "Who cares what the kids think, we could use your help."

BTW, it is not Thursday.  Today is "A"

2 comments:

  1. The trick is to ensure that you don't hover over your kids. I know people who volunteered in their grandchild's school, and one day the kid brought friends home who were stunned to see "Mr. ________" [they have different surnames] in the child's home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so weird! I never noticed you on the cover before, nor did I ever notice the person standing right next to the principal there

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive