Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Unanticipated benefits

Thanks again Larry
It makes me sick when people say "Everything happens for a reason". I mean, I really hate to hear that. When people say that, what I hear is that there was some sort of plan that included me being paralyzed for half a year, or that I did something to deserve this. No, shit happens!

Yeah, almost a year and a half ago I was ready to finish my 30th marathon. Then I stumbled into my doctor's office and she told me to get right to the hospital because I had Guillain-Barré syndrome. After four months in the hospital it turned out I have a cute motor axonal neuropathy. Now home and I'm walking 5K's.

But there have been some amazing moments in my life. In the big picture look at the photos to the left. There I am finishing my third 5K in as many weeks. In each race I finished last. In this one organized for Achilles athletes most of the people volunteering along the course walk with me to the finish line. That was kind of cool. I didn't really know how many people with me until I looked at these pictures.

Moments like this the good memories. But the thing that stays with me longer is the people I've met. I've met a lot of nice people from my whole life. Plenty of people who like to help other people, like to do good things. But lately I've gotten to meet people that are a little different than me. I've been meeting people who are of the generation in between myself and my kids.

This is kinda hard to say and I've been trying to figure out a way to save for a long time. But I've been spending a lot of time with a lot of 20 and 30-year-old, physical and occupational therapists. Working with them really made me feel good about my kids future. First, it gives me hope that my kids will survive being teenagers. Also, that they will grow up and be more like them than me.

Anyway, here are some more of my recent accomplishments.

  • I'm almost ready to put on my socks and shoes by myself.
  • I'm much better at using a fork.
  • I can drink from a cup, or out of a bottle
  • I can get off of a regular toilet without help.
  • With a little help I completed three 5K races in as many weeks
  • I'm able to get around the neighborhood by myself, even walk down to the zoo and visited my son. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive