Friday, May 6, 2016

You inspire me (NSFW)

A lot of people tell me that I inspire them. As I've written before, that used to bother me. When people told me I was inspirational, inside it just reminded me that I would give my left nut just to be mediocre again. I didn't want to be anyone's superhero, regular hero or even role model. I just wanted to be an unnoticed regular guy again. But I accepted that that was never gonna happen again.

On this date two years ago I fell on my face when I was making an easy jump into the back of an empty truck. I was supposed to visit my doctor, but the truck needed to be put back together. I stumbled into my doctor's office until May 7. She told me I had Guillain-Barré syndrome and needed to be in the hospital. By that evening I couldn't walk it all. And on May 8, 2014 it was a good thing the nurses were right there to catch me when I was trying to pee.  Read the rest of the blog posts for the rest of the story. I'm not talking about my dissent anymore, I'm talking about my climb out of that fucking pit.

I try to get to the gym now as often as I can. While I was waiting for the rowing machine to open up so I can do my warm-up I was admiring a woman on the treadmill doing a full out run. Then, I saw her do that something that I thought was impossible. She turned 90° and started running sideways on the treadmill. She did that for a couple minutes and then jumped forward again to run. Then she jumped in the air and turned 90° the other way. Kind of like the video below but she was going faster and never went backwards. When she got off and walked past me, I said that I didn't think what she just did was possible on a treadmill. She quickly replied," You can do anything if you try!" 



So, my warm-up is usually to get to 100 cal on the rowing machine. It usually takes me about 12 minutes. She inspired me to try to break 11 minutes. Boom! 10 minutes and 30 seconds. It helps to be inspired. Then I went into the weight room and added about 10% to all the machines I use.

Sunday I'm going to participate in a 10K race. I'm still using the word participate because I'm not running. I'm going to get a one hour head start and I will still finish with the back of the pack. I'm really hoping that everyone who passes me knows how hard I'm working and where I have been. Their encouragement really helps. Because, honestly, without it I would just sit home jerk off and eat ice cream.

Yeah, and in two more weeks I'm am going to walk 13.1 miles in the Brooklyn half Marathon. I don't know yet if they will give me an early start or wait for me to finish but I'm gonna do 13.1. Then the next day I'll participate in the GBS – CIDP walk and roll.  I'm going to show my neuropathy friends how far I've come. On May 22, 2014 I could not roll over in a hospital bed. On May 22, 2014 it took all I had to walk a mile with a rolling walker. On May 22, 2015 I'm just going to show up and walk a mile the day after walking 13.1.

Yeah, and I'm also not using the joystick mouse anymore. Last week it wasn't hooked up so I just reached out and started using a regular mouse. Just like that. I tried. It worked. For the most part I still use voice to text. So if you think you hear my voice in my writing, you are. This is how I tawk.

So I'm gonna start to wind down occupational therapy and go back to physical therapy. But not the same physical therapist I've been seeing. They got me from paralyzed to being able to walk as far and as fast as any tourist in New York City. A couple of weeks ago I took off my ankle foot orthotics and ran a mile. It took me just under 24 minutes and I think I look more like a bird than a human. My new physical therapists are going to treat me like a jock again. I'm can ask them to get me running faster and further. Running.

So here's the deal. I'm to keep inspiring you, and you can let me know and that will encourage me to inspire you even more.



FUCK YOU Guillain-Barré syndrome

FUCK YOU Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy

FUCK YOU Acute motor axonal neuropathy




8 comments:

  1. Wow!I know in my heart that if you believe strongly and honestly in something, anything is possible. But it's rare to actually know someone who is living that. That's why you are an inspiration to me. And that's why you are going to have probably the best Brooklyn Half you ever ran. Just love you, Mikey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael--If I see you at the Brooklyn Half, I'd like to give you my finisher's medal because you deserve two for working twice as hard as the rest of us to get to get to the finisher's line. Persistence is the key to finishing and winning and I admire your can do attitude before and after you got sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will keep yours. Because I just told the NYU press office that I intend to give my metal to the doctor that helped reconstruct me. I told them that because they are looking for emotional moments and this will be one of them.

      Delete
    2. I'll look for you, but with 25,000 runners it may be difficult. But please consider my medal yours even if I don't see you at the Brooklyn Half and I will figure out a way to get it to you.

      Delete
    3. Hey anonymous, are you the person I met on the bus today?Check out my new blog post for a clue to what I mean

      Delete
  3. I hope I see you at the Brooklyn Half - it's my first and I am so nervous but to see that you will be doing too, inspires me! Look out for me VCTC PURPLE SINGLET !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peripheral Neuropathy Treatment is usually directed at the underlying cause. On the off chance that the condition is because of a specific medication, the medication can be exchanged. On the off chance that the condition is brought about by a vitamin insufficiency, vitamin supplements may improve symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Natural Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy is highly effective, simply available and easy to prepare. You can find these herbs and medicines in any kitchen. Let us have a look at some of the most common Home Remedies for Peripheral Neuropathy to this disorder. Try one of these home remedies for nerve pain next time you experience it.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive