Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Three Island Tour


I have to say that the coolest thing about this summer has been the accessibility of Governors Island. It is that not so little island between the Statue of Liberty and Red Hook. It is a free trip on a 5 minute ferry. There is a really cool miniature golf course. It is just a great place to get away from the city really fast.

Today I went out for a 3 hour run. My usual route would be to meander over to the Brooklyn Bridge, Cross Chambers St, South at the Hudson River, and back over the Brooklyn Bridge and return to Park Slope via the Promenade. This morning was humid. every subway station was an invitation to come home. I was not looking forward to returning on that shade-free Brooklyn Bridge

After two and a half hours of running I was passing the ferry to Governors Island. I looked at the schedule and saw that the first boat leaves at 10AM. It looked at my watch, it was 10:01. The boat was still there. I looked at the ferryman and asked if that boat was about to leave. He simultaneously took out his radio and said, "One more, hold the boat", and told me to hurry.

I took a quick ride over to the Island and did a quick loop. It took about 15 minutes. Since I was the first person off the first ferry I very litterly had the island to myself; just me, the seagulls, the views and the variously aged building.

One day I might go there just for a long run. It is flat and scenic. But the problem is the lack of potable drinking water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive