Wednesday, August 5, 2009

DDC Day 19: Ice Skating in August, That's Insane

Yea Crazy. Like Crazy Eddy.


Going ice skating was a good idea after getting sunburn yesterday. Good to spend the day in a grant refrigerator.

We went to Aviator Sports in Floyd Bennitt Field. They converted two airplane hangers into ice skating rinks. Nice, very nice. It is a very pleasant facility. There is food, a fake rock climbing wall, air hockey, and even a summer camp.



When I was a kid (over 30 years ago) I was in the Junior Order of the Knights of Pythias. We got to play basketball in one of the old airplane hangers. There was a court and a basket with a net. But there was no plumbing. There was a bathroom, but no running water. We were the first people to be allowed to play ball there. I remember the petrified turd in the toilet. I was 15, it was great.

Another thing, yesterday I drove to Rockaway. I made a mental note after driving the strait line down Flatbush Ave to the Marine Parkway Bridge. It took 35 minutes and was a very frustrating ride. It was 8 miles.

View Larger Map
Today I basically drove to the same place, but went the long way. I drove over 16 miles but almost all on highways. It took 20 minutes. I was thinking that maybe it was a good thing that Robert Moses built all these highways. More miles, but a faster.


View Larger Map

It made me think that maybe Robert Moses did not do a bad thing by building all these highways. But then I thought that maybe if he did not, there would have been less traffic on Flatbush Ave.

1 comment:

  1. Michael - I wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your blog. It's great to hear about the good points of Brooklyn. I know exactly where those airplane hangers are at Floyd Bennett Field, Exit 11, King's Plaza/Floyd Bennett Field - I never would have known they turned them into anything if I didn't read your blog. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive