Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Utimate Act of Patriotism


I am visiting my friends Dave and Sasha, up in Northampton Mass. This morning in front of their City Hall, I witnessed 30 people become Citizens of the United States.

Look below the photo for the words that are the oath they took. I think every American should repeat them on Independence Day.

(Thanks for the photo and the PC, Dave.)

They said
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."



1 comment:

  1. I find that oath interesting as US now allows for dual citizenship. (My Wife is American Born Citizen with new Canadian Citizenship). I was at her ceremony for Can Cititenship last year and it was no less poinient and powerful. It was a very neat thing to witness. Glad you enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive