Sunday, July 10, 2011

I could get used to going to the beach

Today we car pooled it out to Robert Moses State Park


Back in the mid- '80s,  I spent 3 summers working on the beach.  I was a chair boy. As people walked under the boardwalk they told me how many chairs and umbrellas they wanted.  I hauled them out to the beach, took a paint brush out of my back pocket and brushed the sand off and they gave me a few dollars.  I worked every nice day all summer long.  Seven nice days in a row would net me $1,000.  $1,000 a week in 1985 cash money.

That was nice, but it has taken me a while to enjoy the beach again.

BTW, I worked at the long gone Atlantic Beach Estates.  The Flamingo Kid was filmed on the same beach. but it was not like a Matt Damon movie.  Not at all.

4 comments:

  1. I can see how being a chair-person (LOL) might sour you on beaches for a number of years. Do they still have chair-people to brush sand off for YOU?
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,

    I don't think anyone is ever gonna carry a chair for me. At least not on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a thousand a week in '85 and you quit! Is the job still open?

    "I don't think anyone is ever gonna carry a chair for me."

    Just wait until you're looking way old and way pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's alot of money in 7 days during that time. it would be a happy successful memory at best.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive