Tuesday, March 6, 2012

No Parking

Two blocks to the North of my home they are making a TV show.  Person of Interest


It happens a lot in Park Slope.  I used to complain but then I realized that is the price I pay for living in an interesting place.  Nick Carr, who writes a great blog caled Scouting NY said it much better than me in this piece he wrote for the New York Times on March 19, 2010


Question:
We’re really fed up in Park Slope with the constant film crews (and cops milling about when they could be doing more productive work). Is this because the scouts are so lazy they can’t find other locations? I really wish the film industry would get out of New York.
— Posted by Gerry
Answer:
I’ll make you both a deal – get a bulldozer, tear down all the aspects of your neighborhood that make it beautiful and completely unique to our city, and replace it with bland, modern construction. I guarantee film productions will stop bothering you.
Here is my philosophy on NYC: It’s a tight place, we all share it, and if you don’t like sharing, you shouldn’t live here.
Two days ago, the most bustling portion of Fifth Avenue was closed on a busy Wednesday for the St. Patrick’s Day parade, undoubtedly annoying thousands of locals interrupted in their daily commutes and hurting numerous businesses. Every year, the same occurs for such events as the NYC Marathon, the 5-Boro Bike Ride, street fairs and so on. Yet somehow, life seems to go on. Meanwhile, that five-minute annoyance to you often means a LOT to the people who benefited from it.
That said, overshooting certainly happens, and if you feel your neighborhood has been inundated by filming, just call the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre, and Broadcasting, and complain. Ultimately, if enough shooting has been going on, your area will be put on “the hot list” – a list of streets that are off-limits to filming for a certain period of time. I agree, there’s nothing more annoying than having a pushy P.A. tell you to wait a few minutes before going down your own street. But you know what? He can’t legally physically stop you, and if you really feel like your 30 seconds are that important, go right by him and head on home.
Finally: Sorry, Gerry, but I disagree – the day the film industry disappears from New York will be a very bad day for the city, and I’m not just talking in terms of film jobs lost. If you weren’t born here, your impression of New York was primarily formed from movies and TV shows. I fell in love with New York when I first saw “Ghostbusters” at about 6 years old. Today’s kids are falling in love with it because of movies like “Enchanted” and “Night at the Museum.” Without a doubt, our industry promotes a tremendous amount of growth and tourism, and I promise you don’t want this prestige falling to any other city.


I actually heard the word "Action", then saw  4 or 5 coplike people walk out the front door of the Montauk Club.  Then the fun started..  2 more guys came out behind them with guns and shot at them and then got shot and fell off the side of the staircase.



But one block to my South I got this.

Hay, sometimes it is not so easy to find a free place to store my personal property on public land.

and someone always pulls out.

H

1 comment:

  1. Pretty exciting place you live in. We've had police cars in our road twice in the last few months and we have to be contented with that as excitement. Of course, we have lots of space for parking our cars, because no one wants to film here.
    LOL
    Enjoyed this one. Thanks!
    K

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive