Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I had the time, so I let this photograph affect me

We took a quick road trip to The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.  Now that they are not so dependent on me, all I have to really do is say is "Have fun and we will regroup near the big statue of Ben at 2pm."  I got to walk around and enjoy a museum like an adult.  I really did not need to climb in the Giant Heart or the Train Factory again.  So I  meandered into the 50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic and decided to read every caption.

One of them helped me understand the power of a photograph.

William Albert Allard, 1982. A Peruvian boy mourns his sheep, killed by a hit-and-run taxi driver [461x331]


This "boy" is 9 years old but has the responsibilities of an adult.  But when his herd is decimated he cried. The caption explains that the photographer wished he could have helped him but could not.  He had nothing to give.


Below is text and images from Burnéd Shoés  The story has a good ending.


Here’s a picture of William Albert Allard showing the well known picture to grown up Eduardo and his family (source):

WILLIAM ALBERT ALLARD: PERUVIAN BOY
Above photograph shows Eduardo Ramos with his dead sheep after a hit-and-run taxi driver had killed half of his family’s flock in 1981. Photographer William Albert Allard had been exploring Peru at that time and stumbled upon that crying boy near Puno.
The photo was published in National Geographic in March 1982. The readers of the magazine responded so generously that the boy’s family was able to buy five new ewes after more than 6,000$ have been contributed. Enough money was left over to aid other people in the region.
This story demonstrates how a photographer can give something back and make a difference in a person’s life. Find more examples on the National Geographic website.
Here’s a picture of William Albert Allard showing the well known picture to grown up Eduardo and his family (source):

1 comment:

  1. The power of photos should never be underrated Mike I agree, they can have the power to change lives, the world and evoke very strong emotions. I remember the photo you've shared from the National Geographic and its also mounted in one of our local museums.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive