Thursday, August 6, 2015

Forget about customer service, it's clearly a blame game

Mistakes happen. Two days ago I made a mistake. I use the excess right after book my rides because I really don't want to talk to the people of the other into the phone. I really don't need them to repeat everything I say and read it back to me three times. I like to save the MTA 10 minutes of their employees time and just go to their website and book my rides myself. But two days ago I booked a ride for my home address but in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn. I didn't realize it until last night at 10 o'clock when I read the fourth email they sent me to confirm this ride. I didn't listen to the two phone messages nor did I look at the text I sent me. I made a mistake and then or ignored all my chances to correct it.

There are other kinds of mistakes. A few times I called access ride after my ride was 10 minutes late to ask where it was. I was told it was in Jamaica Queens, or Washington Heights, or The Rockaways. The dispatcher told me I would just have to wait. That all the empty access right vehicles driving by my house were not for me. The system wasn't flexible, I had to wait in the cold, or the rain, or I can try to hail a cab and not be reimbursed for the tip.... This wasn't a mistake that could be fixed I had to deal with it,

But you know what pissed me off this morning, that they said that if I would've called in my reservation and it would've been a mistake on their part they could have fixed it. But since I made a mistake it could not be adjusted. It was all about blame.  So, FUCK YOU Ack Stress O Ride FUCK YOU. 
I took the train.

It's been 15 months, and if I would to be asked what one thing would start making my life normal again it would be taking the subway.  It hasn't changed much. On the way there I sat next to a cute three-year-old girl who got scolded when she wanted to sit on her knees and look out the window. And then a woman of a certain age got on the train and I almost stood up to give her my seat. I did ask her to step out of my way so I can get out the door. I told her I was new at walking again. She smiled. I think she knew I wanted to give up my seat.

On the way back it was even refreshing to be cornered by a complete outgoing Jesus Freak. His rant had no beginning and end, but it did put me into that familiar place that I've missed so much.


Below what you can see what happens when you take a few extra pictures. That's my subway happy dance. Yeah, I know there was gonna be a bonus, I got to see Grand Central station again.  Also, I was happy I was knocking a miss this appointment. It wasn't just a physical therapy session. You see those pictures above, it's hard to tell but I'm wearing a thing: ankle-foot orthotics. I have severe foot drop and it keeps my feet at a right angle. It keeps me from tripping over my own toes as I walk. I was on my way to pick up ones that were custom-made for me with little hinges. I'm wearing them as I speak I could push off my toes as I walk. I can land on my heels when I walk. This is the end of me walking around like on the child of a zombie and a Frankenstein. This is the beginning of heel-to-toe walking. The next step is running. Running :)




5 comments:

  1. One day at a time, right? I always disliked that phrase, but it makes sense. One day at a time sadness fades, challenges are overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to try the public uk bus in my powered chair. Our ring and ride service is oversubscribed and inflexible. I'm terrified but reading your blog has me ready to try ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken the bus in a powered wheelchair. I gained strength from dirty looks.

      Delete
  3. Your injuries are apparent so some may be more sympathetic. Imagine you had hidden ones like head trauma. I wish you well on your journeys and safe travel and passage. Access-A-Ride has never seemed like a safe way to go for me. I think that they hire drivers with poor safety records and could care less about public safety. I myself take chances with the subway and it frustrates me and confounds me each and every time. Let's hope my ride to the therapist on the F in less than a n hour is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have honestly found that the accessorized drivers are for the most part okay drivers and kind people. They have some training in taking care of disabled people so they make sure I have my seatbelt on and stuff like that. Lately access right has been sending Ubers and other car service type cars. Those drivers don't give a shit about me. They don't wait for me to get my seatbelt on let alone help me if I need some assistance. They don't understand that I cannot physically open a car door they might have to get out of their seat and do it for me.

      Delete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive