Monday, August 3, 2015

My moment of Zen

I'm honestly not sure what a moment of Zen is. If you want you can correct me in the comments. but I feel like I was having multiple moments of Zen.

Last year I missed one of my favorite races. The New York Road Runners Corporation puts on an event only for local clubs. It's a lovely race because it's smaller than the rest of their giant events. Specifically because you have to be a member of a local club to run it. So all the people were only interested in training for a certain race or getting in there 9+ one so they could get guaranteed acceptance into the NYC marathon are not there. Those other people don't get in the way of me seeing all the familiar faces that I have seen for years running races in New York City.

I also like it because all the clubs put on a little picnic so we hang out after the race. And it's not just a race it's two races because the genders are separated. We get to watch each other run. A few times I ran the men's race and then the women's race so I can get in some more miles. And a few other times I ran all the way to Central Park and then started the race.  (I just reread my blog post about the other times that I ran to Central Park via Summer Streets, I impressed myself.)

Last year, when I checked into the hospital in early May I remember kinda thinking that I would be fine by the beginning of August, but I wasn't. In fact my wife spent July picking out a long-term rehab facility for me. That process is kind of like how parents choose a college for their kids. She said the second best facility for me was on 103rd St. off of Fifth Avenue. I want to go there just so I'd be near Central Park. I had the physical strength of a slice of pizza but I figured someone could push me over there and I could watch the races.  That never happened.

It was a long summer in rehab. I often closed my eyes, took a deep breath and imagined myself in Central Park. There I am with my eyes open.


Experiencing the moment I had been literally dreaming of for a year.

But it was more than just that. Getting over to that shady spot and sitting down was doable. But while I was sitting there I had absolutely no idea how I would get up. It took a lot of energy not to worry about that. I knew I was surrounded by people who would help me up but I did not want to worry about that, it took a lot of mental energy just to live in that moment.  I didn't want to worry about how it was good to get up until I had to get up.

But there I am being the moment that I had imagined.

Thanks Anne, for bringing your giant camera. In all I

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm not exactly sure what a moment of Zen is, either, but I think this was one. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive