Monday, December 14, 2015

That means that the performers will periodically dance about and burst into song.

About 20 years ago, I saw two Broadway musicals in one week. Les Misérables and Showboat.  I was able to review both in one sentence. The chair was much more comfortable at Showboat. To be honest our seats for Les Mis were in the front row of the balcony of one of those old Broadway theaters.That morning I had done a long run. So, squeezing into that chair and then climbing down the stairs after the show was not so much fun. But, I was impressed with the scenery and Showboat. When my kids were itty bitty we got all dressed up and saw The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. My son was only comfortable if he sat on my lap and put his face in front of my eyes. I saw no reason to twist my neck to look at the stage. So, I was the guy who woke up and put his coat on during intermission and thought the show was over. At $150 a ticket I would've had a better time sitting in the car.

Yeah, I'm that guy. Some people say I shouldn't brag about it. But, I grew up slam dancing in CBGBs, jumping on stage with the likes of Jell-O Biafra and Johnny Thunders. I was ready to quit a good job because my boss wouldn't give me the day off to see the Ramones.   One of the highlights of my young life with being in the front row of a Clash show, so that Joe Strummer's spit would land on me (I still say fixing his teeth ruined his singing voice.) I don't know, I have a hard time going from that to lavish Broadway musicals.

So why did I pay $30 for a 20th row seat to see Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast? Because
that seat was next to my daughter.  She wanted to see her friends in our school's production. Why $30? Because my daughter goes to LaGuardia. She is not in the drama department, but a few of her friends are. And she gets to go to school where they have a functioning turntable on the stage.  And here is my review....  "There was nothing high schoolish or amateurish about this production. Any of the actors, singers, dancers or members of the technical crew could've walked a few blocks down Broadway and performed for people paying 10 times as much".

But the plot lost me. I can understand household furniture that sing and dishes that dance, or a prince turning into a monster. But there is no make-believe universe where a father would allow his child to take his place in prison. I know this from personal experience.Because, the only thing that keeps my heart beating is knowing that in an alternate universe I traded places with one of my children so that they won't be in the prison of neuropathy

Back to my youth....... When I was slightly older than the age she is now I saw the band Yes in Madison Square Garden. It was the first giant concert I have a went to. The band was touring on its new album called Roundabout. The stage was set in the middle of the arena on a turntable. Our seats were way up in the Blue Section and I hardly remember the concert. But I remember the subway ride home, when I said was a cool that the band was in the middle and they were going round and round and up and down. My friend said what you mean up-and-down they will only rotating. I fell onto the floor of the subway car laughing and said you mean I was the only one saw it going up and down? I do hope my daughter has as much fun as I did when I grew up and doesn't tell me about it for 35 years.

My daughter is named after a character in a movie. Here's one of my favorite exchanges of dialogue from that film.

Linus Larrabee: And I want tickets to whatever Broadway show nobody can get tickets to.
[Mack looks inquisitively at him]
Linus Larrabee: I know, I seldom go to the theatre.
Mack: Seldom?
Linus Larrabee: So, I'm not a theatre buff.
Mack: Buff? The most difficult tickets to get will be for a Broadway musical.
Linus Larrabee: [distractedly] Okay.
Mack: That means that the performers will periodically dance about and burst into song.

However, I just saw this video and thought I'd ad it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive