Thursday, October 27, 2016

I figured out how to clap my hands

I was never really into going to musicals.  But ever since an evil variant of Guillain-BarrĂ© syndrome destroyed much of the motor axons in my hands and feet I've been more open to trying new things. So I got a Facebook invitation to see an off off off Broadway show called Still Standing, written and performed by Anita Hollander, I figured what the hell it's a one hour show, it's a one-woman show and she's got one leg. So what I got to lose.

So let me get right to it .... Because the song called Mommy is a Mermaid was about how her daughter thought it was no big deal she had one leg that's the way it's always been. It made me wonder if my relationship with my kids would be better they are never knew how fit I was before they turned 14. Maybe, if they thought all daddies needed help holding a fork, we have an easier time getting along. But it was a feel-good show, so I couldn't go up and shake her hand after it was over cause I might of mentioned that and we all would have started to cry. But that was just a little part of the show.

Yeah, I was able to relate in a much more positive way to the rest of the performance. Stories and songs about courage. Dealing with the cards that you have, laughing it yourself and marking the people who can't deal with you. Listen to them all by clicking on this link. http://bit.ly/2eFe4OK.

The nerve damage in my hands is pretty bad. Clapping becomes more of a flopping and when my hands do meet I can't really unbend my fingers so all I'm really doing is tapping my knuckles together. But I felt compelled to applaud. I suddenly realized that if I rested my left palm on my chest I could slap my right palm on the back of my left hand and make that clapping sound.

Last night I went down to Brooklyn Bridge Park for the NYRR Open Run. As usual my friend Larry showed up and took a gazillion pictures. Right after he finished running I asked him to take a bunch so I could show off my new clapping method.

Oh, if you haven't been keeping up don't panic about the wheelchair. I broke a little bone in my right foot so since I was already hobbling around, hobbling more with the broken bone really didn't work out.

I can get around the house without the boot on but I can't walk more than a few blocks with it.

3 comments:

  1. You know youre my hero right? It's true that some higher bigger power puts people before us that himble us and bring us back to how blessed we really are. No one wamts diseaae or disability but we get to see how the imperfect among us shine. Shine you certainly do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya never know: this might help.
    I'll pray for you, brudda,
    one day you may join this sinfull mortal in Seventh-Heaven...

    The more you shall honor Me,
    the more I shall bless you.
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague (Czech republic, next to Russia)

    trustNjesus, dude.
    Meet me Upstairs.
    Let's getta Big-Ol beer...
    gotta lotta tok about
    celebrating our eternal resurrection.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive