Friday, July 3, 2009

Daddy Camp day 3; Are they all yours?

We went to the Heckshere Playground in Central Park. We went last year with my daughter's BFF. Today I invited my son's BFF, his big sister and her two kids. It was extra fun for me because I got to practice my tour guide skills (or at lest have an adult conversation when the kids were playing.)

The Girl had a surprisingly good time playing big sister to a 6 and 3 year olds. There was also and exchange of "patty-cake"methods between east and west coast girls.

The Heckshere Playground is one of those places that is so well designed that you forget is was a plan. It has got a giant sand box, an enormous sprinkler system as well as lots of swings and slide. Slides in the sprinkler = extra fun! The playground (like the rest of the playgrounds in Central Park and Prospect Park) is kind hidden. The trees don't just provide shade, they help preserve Olmsted's vision of a urban oasis, a place to enjoy nature. I wonder if there is a graduate level architecture class call "Playground".

It also has an awesome view. I was sitting in the shade looking at the kids, the trees, the rocks and the Upper West Side when I noticed a half a dozen mini Rocketts posing atop a glacial rock. They look really tiny, but they are there. Only in NYC.

So it starts to rain (What else is new?) and we find our selves in a Subway Sandwich Shop. I am the last to order, the clerk looks at the 5 kids under 9 years old and a 27 year old Mom. He says to me "Are they all yours?". I thought he was nuts, I just said no, just the two over there....Maybe I should have said yes, he woulda given me a free sandwich.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a great time! Nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I am sure you have done the math already, but, you could be the 27 year olds dad, LOL! How scary is that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the math I did. and then I almost pooped my pants.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive