Sunday, July 5, 2009

Race Report Pepper Martin 5M

I made an incorrect assumption about Staten Island, really wrong:

I thought Staten Island was a flat place, with new cul-de-sac housing and everybody waived flags.

  1. Mile 2 on this race contained a (UP) that had a "Truck use low gear" sign. We came back down, but I was not really ready.
  2. The race passed some beautiful old neighborhoods. With sidewalks!
  3. Everybody waived flags. It was Independence Day. I should stop jumping to conclusions.
Anyway this was a race that I was hearing about for a long time but never got to run.

5 miles is a great way to start the 4th of July. Bang out a quick race and still have time for afternoon/evening festivities!

The fact that my coach encouraged team participation made it even more fun. I am not the kinda guy that medals but it was satisfying to know that I was giving a ride to someone who did win an award.

The local City-Councilman helped give out the awards. I assumed when he was handed the microphone he was gonna make a long-winded speech. Wrong again. He gave the age group trophy to the 80-85 year old Male. The winner was his High School Track Coach. The man continued to coach the team after he was laid off in 1977. That's dedication.

Anyway, I wanted to break 45 minutes. I knew there would be hill, so I did not think I would have even spits:

Mile 1: 8:30
Mile 2: 9:32
Mile 3: 9:53
Mile 4: 8:25
Mile 5: 8:43

Guess where the hill was?

At 45:05 I had 5 more seconds of fun running this race, than I planed. Can't wait till next year!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I'm a former distance runner who has allowed herself to be consumed by work and the busy schedule etc etc. That will change soon! A 5 mile would be perfect to get back in the swing of things! Congrats on the race! Good time!

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive