Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Today is Evacuation Day



226 years ago the British officially left New York City.  The painting above shows George Washington marching downtown with the citizens of NYC.  He started his march at about where 14th St is now.  Today there is a statue of good old George on a horse there.  I have been there many times.  I might go back today.

Or I might go to another spot in NYC that represents Evacuation Day.  In the neighborhood of New Utrecht, here in Brooklyn is a very tall flag pole.  It was there on November 25, 1783.  It is said that the Stars and Stripes that flew on that pole was the last thing the British fleet saw as they sailed back home to England.

1 comment:

  1. We lived in the USA for 5yrs and had one of those flags with our last house. The previous home owners gave it to us.

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive