Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Another view from up over the F & G Train

Last week I took this photo.  On another snowy day I turned to the left 90 degrees and took this.  This might be the highest spot a regular person can get to in the NYC Subway System.

The next station is know as the tallest.  The platform at Smith & 9th Street is on a bridge that goes over a road that is a drawbridge tat goes over the Gowanus Canal.  (the drawing at left is This is the work of 9th grade students at the New York Harbor School.


So Smith & 9th Street is 91 feed above sea level.  Now that there is a temporary  staircase going over the platform that goes over the road, 4th Ave might be higher.

2 comments:

  1. You know, your world is so different from mine that sometimes it's hard to think that we live in the same state. I haven't been to NYC since the '70's. Really should go again, I guess, just to see what it's like when the forest is made of concrete. But, I think I'd be intimidated. It's all just so big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Louise. It is not all concrete. Next time I am up there I will turn the other 2 way. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive