Saturday, July 13, 2013

Not for me


My son might see Pacific Rim.  But he will go without me.

I just don't think guns are funny, or even entertaining.  They are just tools for killing and more often than you would want they hurt the wrong person.

Or maybe I should show my son the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.




Would that be child abuse?  Or maybe it should be required viewing before seeing a comedy where the stars have guns in their hands?

This is a free country.  People are free to make a lot of money presenting an unrealistic picture of gun violence.  and I am free not to like it.

4 comments:

  1. How old are the twins now? I don't think it's at all wrong for you to want to pass your pacifism on to your son...and your daughter. My father was in World War II, and although he served in the Canadian Army Show overseas, playing music and painting scenery, he remembers the bombs and the sight of bombed-out homes, and refugees. He didn't hesitate to tell all of us that war is no fun at all, not even for musicians and artists, and it's pointless, too.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of myself as a pacifist. I just don't think guns are funny. and I think when we make the use of guns funny more people die.

    I sat next to my father in law when I first saw Saving Private Ryan. He never talked about France, but he was in the infantry.

    http://whatyourdonotknowbecauseyouarenotme.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-fil-was-real-deal.html

    he never ever talked about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying this. I wouldn't want a real gun pointed at me, why would i want some celebrity in a movie ad pointing one at me. Zimmerman still would have been a douchebag, but at least a chubby harmless one, if only he didn't think packing a gun would make him cool. (Lisa)

    ReplyDelete

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive